Celebrating Singapore Shores
The Singapore marine community launched the third International Year of the Reef with ‘The Fun Odyssea’
Especially for kids and families during the March school holidays over two days, this community initiative brought together various blue interest groups, as well as marine research and conservation groups.
The community curated a wide variety of activities to showcase their work while engaging the public in a fun manner. These included:
- Storytelling and colouring with Cicada Tree Eco-Place
- Making marine animals: clay modelling session with NUS Marine Scientists
- Hand crafting of marine animals using recycled materials with Craft Lagoon
- Make marine reptile origami with the Herpetological Society of Singapore
- Local marine scientists roamed around the exhibits open to questions about them and their work
- Film screenings included ‘Blue Planet II’ by BBC Earth; and ‘Ubin, Sayang’ by a young film-maker documenting mangrove restoration on Pulau Ubin, the last inhabited offshore island of Singapore
- Live mural painting with Wu Yanrong, a Singapore Illustrator who paints marine animals
- Launch of permanent posters about marine ecosystems in Singapore
- More than 500 families and children participated in The Fun Odyssea
This community event is a partnership by Our Singapore Reefs, Sentosa Development Corporation and Celebrating Singapore Shores. The launch was opened by Mr Andrew Tay, CEO of the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore.
For more information on the Singapore marine community celebrations of IYOR here.