Red Sea Environmental Centre (RSEC)
To celebrate the Third International Year of the Reef (IYOR), MareMundi/Red Sea Environmental Centre (RSEC) is excited to announce its IYOR2018 scholarship to participate in our regular reef monitoring project in Dahab, Egypt. The 6 week-scholarship is jointly sponsored by MareMundi/RSEC, Reef Check Germany e.V. and Sinai Divers Dahab.
Coral reefs are under threat worldwide, including in the Red Sea. 1997 and 2008 were declared the first and second International Year of the Reef, respectively, in response to the increasing threats on coral reefs and associated ecosystems, such as mangroves and sea grasses around the world. The IYOR is a global effort to increase awareness and understanding on the values and threats to coral reefs, and to support related conservation, research and management efforts. We can help make a difference by learning more about tropical coral reefs and collecting valuable data to assess the state of coral reefs in the area.
The IYOR2018 Scholarship includes:
- Contribution to airfare and living expenses (€400, sponsored by Reef Check Germany)
- 6 weeks package for the RSEC Dahab Reef Monitoring project (value €1.040) with
- Reef Check EcoDiver training and certification, accommodation, and airport shuttles (sponsored by MareMundi/RSEC)
- 40 project dives and 1 boat trip (sponsored by Sinai Divers)
IYOR2018 Scholarship applicants should have the following profile:
- Be a student of marine science or a related field, preferably experienced in coral reef ecology
- Be a certified diver (advanced diver with > 25 dives) with good buoyance skills
- Be highly motivated, with good skills in English and scientific writing
- Enjoy blogging on social media
The IYOR2018 Scholars ccommits herself/himself to:
- Fully support RSEC’s conservation project
- Prepare a ten year comparison (2008/2018) of selected sites including data analysis and report writing
- Regularly blog about the scholarship, project progress, travel and diving experiences in written form and with media to the MareMundi/RSEC online community and MareMundi/RSEC’s discussion board
- Agree to the global use of all media output (pictures, video, etc.) by MareMundi/RSEC, Reef Check, Sinai Divers.
Deadlines for application: 1 May 2018
Application procedure: Please send a letter of motivation, letter of recommendation and CV to email@example.com
Next projects: Dahab Reef Monitoring11.8.-22.9.2018 (optional 28.7.-1.9.2018)
The successful applicant will get a full training in scientific survey methods, indicator species for coral reef health and gain knowledge about coral reefs and associated habitats. You will receive a certificate of participation. Please enquire whether your participation is eligible for credit by your university.
More information here